Sunday, June 3, 2007

Writing on Week Eleven

How is your writing? Are you managing to send out submissions, enter contests, manage to put a stanza or two on paper? Are you able to harness in your words and make them dance? If so, I am living vicariously through you this week. My flex day is another week away - my day to write - and in the meantime I work at writing morning couplets and keeping track of the days' events. Mostly, I'm trying to stay away from the usual distractions, but it can be a losing battle. Sometimes, the constant notifications of contests and literary events can be overwhelming. We are still struggling with the perameters of space and time. I'm glad these words, alone, are coming.

I find it helpful to discuss writing with a handful of friends I am able to bounce ideas off of, including my supportive Waywords. I have a co-worker with whom I can debate punctuation and discuss writing, in general - our styles, inspiration, influences, energies, authors, articles - whatever is niggling at our writing brains.


For writing incentive, I find the freedom of being wireless helps as I am not confined to my cubby-hole closet with all of its paper and books piled around me. You would think this mound of paper clutter would lend inspiration by osmosis, but it is often mere clutter that clogs the way for new work.

Sleep is overrated and I wish I didn't need it as much as I do. There are too many pages to fill and pore over.

The draft of my first novel should be bound in book form for review by next week, thanks to a friend who has offered to do this for me. I will have 10 copies to give to friends and family for their editing comments.

This week I will be flying to Edmonton to attend the League of Canadian Poets AGM (June 8-10). I am exhilarated by the thought of meeting other writers and sharing ideas.

I realize this entry is greatly dis-jointed - little spurts of thought as I try to start my ignition. Let me know how you are doing and, if you feel comfortable, share your published work or writing intents.

No comments: